Monday, July 8, 2013

Mid Century Modern dresser refinished

I have been so busy lately! I have recently started working again, so it's been a little challenging to find time for my hobby. It took me while to refinish this one because I was only doing it during nap time. 
I love how it turned out, though! 
I really wanted a mid century modern dresser for my three year old. I needed something that would last a while, be more masculine and be timeless, so I decided on this style. I looked on Etsy, and the prices were outrageous, considering that my budget is...well...cheap. 
I started looking on Craigslist. After about a month if searching, I found this dresser listed for $150. When I saw it in person, it had more damage than I could see in the pictures, so I asked if she would take $120. She said yes, and we loaded it up. It's a great deal, mainly because I planned on fixing the damage just by sanding down through the finish. 
Here it is... 

Same dresser as mine, but not the one I bought. I didn't take any before pics, sorry! Just so you can get an idea of what the original color looked like. 

Totally sanded down...


Mid staining...

Stained! It came out too red for my liking, so I dragged my kids over to Lowes again and found a stain that added a bit more brown to the final color. I should have conditioned the wood before I stained, but I used three coats total and then used a spray satin polyurethane to finish it. It turned out great! Here it is in his room...

The lighting in his room is not the greatest so the pictures didn't come out that great, but you get the idea. 





No comments:

Post a Comment