Thursday, February 21, 2013

Polka dot Coffee Table


I LOVE pattern, and I really like chevron. I love painting a random piece of furniture that we come across at a yard sale in some funky and unexpected way. I paint almost every table top that comes my way in a chevron pattern(big seller at the flea markets), and that's what I was about to do with this little gem until it hit me....POLKA DOTS!
Perfect for covering a table top with unsightly marks on top! I blurted it out, and my mom looked at me like I was crazy. Well I am...a little bit, but just enough to keep things interesting ;)
So I gathered my materials...

Materials needed
Paint color of choice 
(I used a teal-ish color from the Valspar Summer line)
Thick paper (poster board)
Scissors
Painters tape
Paint brush
Table 


Trace and cut dots out of your poster board paper



my cute little helper

Place your dots and the table. Move them and play around with the placement if needed.
Take a piece of painters tape and roll the tape around your fingers and put on the back of the dots. 
Secure dots to table with painters tape.
Put painters tape around the edge of table if needed.


Get your favorite paint brush and paint 2 coats onto table. I distressed my table at the end so I wasn't worried about complete coverage.



Remove tape and dots while paint is still a little wet.
With a damp cloth, clean up the inside of the dots from any run away paint.


Let paint dry and distress with sand paper. 
Rub on a little furniture wax to protect the table top from liquid.


Done! Quick, easy and cute! Total time spent was about 45 minutes and I did this all inside with the door opened a bit for ventilation.

I was going to sell this, but now I'm thinking of keeping it. Oh my. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment